[gnugo-devel] GMP NEWGAME (Reset) Command

From: Helmut Mayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] GMP NEWGAME (Reset) Command
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:09:22 +0200

Dear all,

 sorry for asking possibly often posed questions, but I haven't found answers
in the archive.
I want to connect our Java GO program to gnugo via GMP. After a lot of trials
it works somehow, but it seems that the GMP Newgame command is not properly
implemented by gnugo. After a long look at the sources 'gmp.c' (as of gnugo
3.2) I am quite sure that it cannot work. This is backed up by the fact that
two other Java applications I have seen do not use Newgame, but disconnect
from gnugo and connect again for playing a new game. If possible, I want to
avoid this brute force method. Finally my question..;-)

Can anybody confirm that NEWGAME works or does not work with gnugo?

Some observations:

- I tried TAKEBACK all moves made at the end of the game, which technically
means a new game, it is OKed by gnugo, but it then does not make any moves
(TAKEBACK works fine during a game)

- after the end of a game, gnugo also ACKs a Newgame command by me, then I can
make queries, all works fine, but again gnugo refuses to make any moves

Btw, why does gnugo always send a third pass after two consecutive passes?

Sorry for the length and many thanks for answers!

Best regards,

Helmut