Re: [gnugo-devel] MAX_LIBERTIES

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] MAX_LIBERTIES
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:07:45 +0100

Arend wrote:
> Triggered by Anders Kierulf's remark on MAX_LIBERTIES, I tried two
> things: Reducing it (to improve cache locality), or removing it (thus
> simplifying the code and removing a lot of branches).
>
> Reducing it to 8 gave a speedup of almost 1%. Removing it (as in the
> preliminary patch below) cost about 0.1% compared to the current
> situation.

What did you run when measuring? Did you try more values for
MAX_LIBERTIES?

> So question: Do we rather want slightly easier code or 1% performance
> gain?

The extra code is already existing and well tested. Since it gives
both a small performance gain and a smallish reduction in memory use
I'd say it's worth keeping. If it had been a question about adding
new code I would have been more hesitant.

/Gunnar