Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki-lookahead, avoid a big move-heuristik

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki-lookahead, avoid a big move-heuristik
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:23:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your testcase, I will add it to the regression tests.

Andreas Br?ndle wrote:
> is there something (or the idea for something) like a lookahead for fuseki
> moves (whole board)
> that would especially treat pincer moves (play a bit aggressive), and moves
> that make a base on the side or prevent this for the opponent,

The idea is certainly there, but we don't have concrete plans to
integrate it into gnugo yet. I do think we need it, though.

> and/or a heuristik that implements the principle "your oponents keypoint is
> often your own", i.e. play in the area where
> the opponent has a big move with slightly higher probability (to calculate
> the big opponent move too would however double the thinking time)
> i mean this more strategically than for tactical fights

I am doubtful about trying to add such principles explicitly to the
code. Instead the engine should understand it implicitly from its
general algorithm of move selection. If the opponent has a big
territorial move somewhere, we certainly do that already (i.e. the
territorial damage/gain it creates are implicitly included in the
territotial valuation of all moves that do not prevent this specific
opponent move). With respect to opponent moves with big strategic impact,
our move valuation is certainly improvable. Here, a global lookahead as
you suggest above would automatically take this into account.

Arend