Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki-lookahead, avoid a big move-heuristik

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] fuseki-lookahead, avoid a big move-heuristik
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:35:39 -0800

We are working on problems like this, although in a slightly different way than normal for Gnu Go

We are doing whole board lookahead of several of the highest rated Gnu Go moves, as well as if we were to play on the one or two highest rated moves Gnu Go would choose to play for "them" (if we were to pass). We do this on a cluster, so the width of the search is parallel, but because the sequence is serial we cannot speed up the depth of the search. Our algorithm will also branch in the lookahead sequences if we have available cpus due to few lookahead paths.

We are trying lookahead depths between 4 and 16 moves. At the end of the lookahead sequence we do an evaluation of the board with Gnu Go's influence function. We do a linear combination of the original move value and the influence calculated at the end to select the move that we play.

So far lookahead-GnuGo seem to be 3 or 4 stones stronger than regular Gnu Go. There are still a number of issues with this approach we are trying to work out.

As you note, all of this is quite compute intensive.

We will report more as we get results.

Cheers,
David