Re: cross tables in reports?

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: cross tables in reports?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:47:11

I took a look at the links on the R homepage and found something called
RSPython that appears to provide interfaces both ways, i.e., R called from
Python and Python called from R.  It looks like you need to know something
about the objects involved, so it's an interface that needs to be
programmed for specific purposes.

The easiest way for GNUe to quickly do an interface (if desired) would be
to write files using Reports in a format that can be read by R, use the
Python to R interface to send R commands to read the input files and
perform various functions, and then write the output from R to a file that
could either be printed or imported to a database.  It could also be done
directly using the databases via the database interfaces that Gontran
discusses.

I would tend to try to do the Python-to-R calls through something that is
user-definable and not a basic part of the GNUe system.  That means R does
not become a GNUe basic dependency unless someone wants to do heavy-duty
statistical stuff.  If I understand the concept of GNUe triggers and
business logic (and I might not :-), I think trigger or business logic code
would be the place to put the R interface, importing as necessary the
approriate components from RSPython.

Of course, one simple option is to write the Reports output and then call
up R separately to do the analysis.

BTW, there appears to be work ongoing on GUI interfaces for R, but it
doesn't seem to be very far along.  It might be nice to let the R folks
know that GNUe might be a good candidate for that.

Also, in terms of "wacky statistics thingees" there are lots of them that
might be of interest to a business strategic planner or market researcher.
It's good to know that there is a top quality statistics package available
as free software.

Stan Klein