Re: cross tables in reports?

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: cross tables in reports?
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:53:25 -0700 (MST)

Stanley A. Klein said:
> At 06:40 AM 10/31/2002 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
>>Can gnue reports, or any other Free database tool for that matter,
>> create crosstables, i.e. what <spit> excel <spit> calls pivot tables,
>> (yes i know the OOo spreadsheet has the "Data Pilot" which is
>> OpenOffice's answer to pivot tables but it's a point-and-click
>> interactive tool and not a database).
>

> If you are talking about cross tabulations and the subsequent
> statistical processing the package to look for is called R.  It is a GPL
> statistical system for which you can find links on at www.gnu.org.  It
> is a clone of a commercial language called S.  It has really heavy-duty
> statistical capabilities, a lot of extensions into specialized
> statistical areas, and the capability of producing graphics based on its
> statistical analyses. The package appears to be popular among academic
> departments of statistics, who use and contribute.

I think the standard OLAP engine language for financials is a langaguage
called A (im serious not being smart butt).  There is a GPL implementation
from Morgan Stanley (the original authors) called A+.  I think the website
is http://www.aplusdev.org .

> The combination of GNUe and R could make a very high powered strategic
> planning, forecasting, and data mining capability.

I think R is worth checking out though I would not ignore A+.

-Derek