gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver/Common Issues

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver/Common Issues
Date: 20 Nov 2002 16:16:33 +0100

Am Don, 2002-11-14 um 19.20 schrieb Stanley A. Klein:
> >3. different forms/reports/processes(GPD) for different users
[snip]

> The third point seems to me to be the easiest to do.  Simply provide
> separate gfd and gpd files to the various users, protected by the operating
> system access control capabilities.  Having a feature in Navigator that
> provides a menu item greyed out with no functionality behind it might help
> provide Navigator screens that seem to be the same (for training purposes)
> but block certain functions that the particular user is not allowed to access.

This looks to me as if it would become unmaintainable.
Say we have a company where several people may see purchase prices in
various forms and reports, and other people may not. Would we have to
double every single form and report that has the purchase price field?
How would we apply an update of our application?

> Another feature that might help in maintaining gpd, gfd, and grd files that
> are separate for separate users would be an "include" capability in the
> gfd, gpd, and grd processors.  That way the individual gfd and gpd files
> could simply consist of include statements pointing to the files containing
> the portions of the definition the user is allowed to access.

Not sure whether such a system would be easily maintainable. Who decides
what to put in which include file?

IMHO both approaches fit small, non-widely deployed, mostly individually
created applications.

Thanks,
Reinhard

--