Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: Dave Stratford
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:10:40 +0100 (BST)

john Culleton wrote:

> A long long time ago my Honeywell 110 had two COBOL compilers. One ran
> in 16k and the other in 8k. The smaller one generated code that
> consisted entirely of ""call" statements to precompiled machine language
> functions.
>
> I would like to see a COBOL compiler written entirely in COBOL. Now
> that would be an accomplishment.

There was one knocking around a long time ago that I briefly came across.
I remember nothing about it, not even where I was when I saw it. I may
even have still been at college. At the time I wasn't as au-fait with
cobol as I am now, and it was really quite scary.

ISTR it was written in cobol 68 to compile cobol 68. Maybe. I think!

Dave