Re: [open-cobol-list] optional ecosystem for OC, Second thoughts on Java

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] optional ecosystem for OC, Second thoughts on Java etc
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:38:42 -0400

In many years of writing COBOL the only time I have needed or
used subordinate libraries is in a situation where a fancy gui
window was needed. Tiny Cobol has an example or two of calling
e.g, Tcl/tk. The COBOL data entry window is pretty bare bones
whether done with SCREEN statements or individual DISPLAY/ACCEPT
pairs.

OTOH The basic Linux or other *nix utilities are very useful. I call
them using a CALL SYSTEM USING "ls -l>listing" type statement.

For an interface to scientific instrumentation perhaps ADA would be
useful. I have never used it.
Hi John

Thanks for this email and the tree data one too. Yes I think I am all set now with the substitute command and friends such as trim, string and unstring.

With Cobol's fine grained variable control, I think i could even make a web input sanitizer quite easily.

I have had a rough go with Ada. I have 53lbs of Ada books now and have read all buy a 0.3 lbs of them, yet I still have accomplished very little with the language.

It is quite time consuming to interface with other languages, it is not very portable and in the floss world it is completely controlled by Adacore. Adacore offers several libraries but they are GPL and at the time I didn't want to use GPL. The GNAT compiler integrated into GCC is okay but it is the least up to date between their offerings of GNAT GCC , GPL GNAT(the runtime dictates your code will be GPL) and their $20K version GNAT Pro.

The language itself is absolutely wonderful, it's just that all that wonderfulness comes at the price of a very difficult to implement language and a dependency on those that can maintain enormous compilers and complex runtimes.

OC on the other hand is so much smaller and integrates easily with C.

Have a great day-Patrick