[open-cobol-list] optional ecosystem for OC, Second thoughts on Java etc

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] optional ecosystem for OC, Second thoughts on Java etc
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:14:05 -0400

The more I read about Cobol the fewer and fewer external libraries I really need, there is a lot built in.

However to interact with scientific instrumentation I am sure I will need some and my problems can be solved in multiple ways, better to do it in the most OC community friendly way.

There is already Cobol .net but like Bryan I am not crazy about closed source toolchains and it looks like mono has had serious setbacks recently. There is also the Glib world that can be used without GTK and QT libraries that can be used without a GUI.

There is boost from the plain C++ world and there is Java.

With Hitachi offering Java integration with there compiler Java seems like a good fit but Java worries me.

Larry Ellison sounds like a psychopath:
http://www.orafaq.com/node/1712

Java seems to have serious security flaws:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57563951-83/homeland-security-still-advises-disabling-java-even-after-update/

and Oracle is bundling in bloatware:
http://www.zdnet.com/if-you-need-java-use-this-one-instead-7000010157/

I am wondering what is the best ecosystem for the greater community? What are your needs?

-Patrick