Re: [open-cobol-list] PIC not allowed

From: Bill Klein
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] PIC not allowed
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:17:07 -0500

What does COMP-1 mean to your compiler?  As others have pointed out, in OC (and IBM and MF and Fujitsu - I think) it is a "short floating point".  From your PICTURE clause, I would guess that RM treats it as something else.  Tell us what it means there and we (probably) can tell you how to get what you want.

On the other hand, I can't think of a USAGE (other than DISPLAY) for a numeric item what would redefine a PIC 999 as 3 alphanumeric characters.