RE: [open-cobol-list] feature request: EXIT PERFORM ; 1985 - MF-Extens

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] feature request: EXIT PERFORM ; 1985 - MF-Extension; 2002 Standard
Date: Sat Mar 20 17:51:02 2004

I like the EXIT PERFROM <cycle> enhancement from the 2002 Standard (and MF
extension). I did want to say, howver, that I think that the

   EXIT PARAGRAPH/SECTION

enhancement may be even MORE valuable.  It allows a programer to (finally)
get rid of all PERFORM THRU and GO TO xxx-EXIT syntax, which (historically)
is very error prone.

The "problem" of doing a "exit immediately" from the middle of a paragraph
(or section) withOUT using "non-structured" syntax is (in my opinion) one of
the really IMPORTANT enhancements of the 2002 Standard.