[open-cobol-list] E-Level Messages

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] E-Level Messages
Date: Fri Mar 12 10:36:07 2004

Also agree with Bill.
However, regarding the return value, MF goes on to say :
"U-level and S-level errors are always output by the Compiler. You can
force the Compiler to output any of the remaining three levels of errors
by setting the WARNING Compiler directive. See the chapter Directives
for Compiler
for details. An unrecoverable error always causes the
Compiler to stop, outputting the relevant error message as it does so. By
default, a severe error causes processing of the cob command to stop
after an intermediate code file has been produced, but you can override
this by using the -W flag on the cob command line. This flag controls
the error-level that causes cob to stop processing. See the chapter
Descriptions of cob Flags for full details on this flag."

"WARNING
Specifies the lowest severity level of errors to report.
Syntax:
>>-.---.-.----.-WARNING--.-" integer"-.-----><
.-/-+ | .-WARNINGS-+ |
.-NO-.-WARNING--.-----------+
.-WARNINGS-+
Parameters:
Properties:
Comments:
The possible values of integer are:
With NOWARNING only those of level U or S are reported.
See also: FLAGAS Compiler directive
FLAGCD Compiler directive
integer
1, 2 or 3.
Default: WARNING"1"
Phase: Syntax check
Environment: All
$SET: Any
1 Only those of level U, S, or E.
2 Only those of level U, S, E, or W.
3 All levels, that is, levels U, S, E, W, and I."

In fact, I always check a MF compile for a non-zero return and remove any
potentially created (or previous) int/gnt files. (The same as I do with OC with .so files)

So, errors are errors and should be treated as such.

Roger While