[open-cobol-list] Re: [Tiny-cobol-users] open-cobol-0.9.6

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Re: [Tiny-cobol-users] open-cobol-0.9.6
Date: Wed Jun 12 21:47:01 2002

At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:40:17 -0400,
David Essex wrote:

> Some areas where I would like to see more cooperation are the following.
>
> - The NIST test suite
> - SORT/MERGE utility
>   (Some thing like CA-So*t, Syncs*rt, ...)
> - Indexed/Relative file utility
>   (ISAM, C-IS*M to the Xopen standard with file locks etc.)
>
> In my view the above are relatively independent projects which could easily
> be shared between projects.
>
> For example both the SORT/MERGE and indexed/Relative file utilities could
> be used as a stand alone program or as a library used by any of the
> projects run-time.

Right.  Should we start a new project, like cobol-utils, which
shares common utilities, libraries, and test suites?

> As for the embedded SQL pre-processor for COBOL, this is also a separate
> project, a rather large project.
>
> The problem here is that each database has a different internal API. So to
> create a generic SQL pre-processor in my view is not realistic.
>
> Yes, one could use ODBC, but there some performance issues there.

I do not think performance is a big issue at this moment.
Having a generic interface that works is better than nothing.
We can improve the interface when performance really become
an issue.

Many databases seem to support ODBC on Linux already.  What
about having a preprocessor and a run-time library that
support ODBC?

Keisuke