Re: [open-cobol-list] use of -g for debugging

From: Richard A. Painter
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] use of -g for debugging
Date: Wed Jun 5 00:28:02 2002

your new beta version 0.9.5.91 seems to have the -g disabled....

BUT the way it worked in 0.9.5 might still be better than this.  with cobc 0.9.5
the -g was passed on to the gcc and the linker.  when i used gdb it had the
extra symbol info and line numbers.  however, they referenced the name and line
numbers for the converted c as xxx.cob and not xxx.c (which is ok).  the
top-level within gdb when using the list command did show the cobol src which
is, i think, what you were referring to that was "not fully implemented".

all in all, i think the 0.9.5 version -g is better than making us do multiple
steps (cobc, gcc).

rich

At Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:00:18 -0600,
Richard A. Painter <address@hidden> wrote:

> in a previous list entry it was stated that in order to get gdb to
> reference the cobol src two things were needed: 1) using cobc -c -g
> and 2) adding a patch to codegen.

Sorry, it was my misunderstanding.  You cannot get your COBOL source
referenced from gdb, at least for now.  Please compile the generated
C files with -g and trace the C file.

I will remove the -g option in the next version.