[open-cobol-list] use of -g for debugging

From: Richard A. Painter
Subject: [open-cobol-list] use of -g for debugging
Date: Tue Jun 4 09:01:05 2002

in a previous list entry it was stated that in order to get gdb to reference the
cobol src two things were needed: 1) using cobc -c -g and 2) adding a patch to
codegen.

since i'm using the latest release of cobc i assumed that this patch was
encorporated.

cobc --help states to use -g BUT it does not qualify it as was instructed by the
list entry for an older version.

so, does one HAVE to break the cobc steps down or can we use a one-step cobc to
include the additional info for gdb such as:
        cobc -fixed -static -g -o testit testit.cob subs.cob

rich

| Richard A. Painter            Phone 719 495 7054              |
| Painter Engineering, Inc.     Mailto:address@hidden       |
| 8470 Swan Rd.                                                 |
| Black Forest, CO 80908                                        |
| Visit our Web site:         http://painter.inc                |
|         http://home.earthlink.net/~painterengineering         |
| Systems & Software Engineering + LAN WAN Networking + X.25    |
| INTERNET TCP-IP + Real-time Transaction Processing            |
| System & Software Integration, Testing, Verification & Audits |
| Web Hosting & Design + Apache + PHP + modSSL + cURL           |
| Database Design & Applications + Oracle                       |
| Benchmarks + Course & Workshop Development & Delivery         |
| Financial and Medical Software Integration + Security         |
| Middleware + EDI + Cryptography + Firewalls                   |
| UNIX + Linux + Windows                                        |
| What is popular is not always right and what is right is not  |
| always popular.     - Howard Cosell                           |
| Chance favors the prepared mind!   Illegitima non carborundum |