gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14191] Enable FITS input and output using Lzip

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14191] Enable FITS input and output using Lzip
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:06:14 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #14191 (project gnuastro):

Thank you very much Antonio for the very nice review. It was very
interesting.

I haven't had the chance to read the paper yet, but your great review made me
even more enthusiastic to have a look into it.

I should appologize for my ignorance (I am really curious to learn more about
compression, but I just haven't had the time yet!). But wouldn't it be an
interesting feature for Gzip-like compression algorithms (Lzip in this case)
that the number of bits in each compressing element can be set by the user
(based on a data-type)? In other words, is the 8-bit size of each independent
datum hard-coded in the algorithm, or can it be a variable?

Since this is the major "distinguishing characteristic" of Gzip-like
compression, that Pence et al. bring up in that paper, wouldn't it be useful
to modify them so they can also accommodate different word-sizes? After-all,
multi-byte datasets are not just limited to astronomy, it can be useful in
many fields.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14191>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/