Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 14:51:26 +0000

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 03:54:23PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 14:52:21 +0000 From: Adam Spiers <address@hidden> Cc: Taylan Kammer <address@hidden>, address@hidden git uses fundamentally different paradigm to the model on which VC was designed. One of many examples of this is that it requires staging changes before committing them. My personal opinion is that it makes no sense to use a version control frontend which is totally outdated relative to the backend in question. I enjoyed using VC for many years (and hacked various extensions to it), but it hasn't kept pace with the evolution of modern VCS frontends. I estimate that its functionality is probably about 5% of what magit offers.

I wonder when did you last took a look at Emacs's VC. It was completely revamped several years ago to support dVCSes, and I'd be surprised to learn that its functionality is only 5% of what Magit offers; I think it's much more than that.

Apologies if my knowledge is out of date. I did a quick check before writing the above, and in the Version Control section of manual for 26.1 I cannot find a single mention of staging, nor any obvious way to selectively stage hunks, let alone selected links within a hunk. I could well be missing something, but it seems that maybe the manual hasn't kept pace, even if the code has.
Many active Emacs developers routinely use VC, and since our VCS is Git, that gives us some evidence about the functionality VC provides for Git.

I was of course aware of the emacs source moving to git, but it's good to know that dogfooding on VC is occurring.
If you indeed didn't look at VC for several years, I urge you to take another look. You probably won't want to switch from Magit, especially if you use only Git in your VCS-related work, but you might change your mind regarding the current functionality of VC, including when Git is the backend.

Yeah, based on another quick glance I'd revise my estimate to maybe 20 or 30%. It seems that there are still huge gaps, for example support for rebase/squash/amend/cherrypick/bisect workflows, management of branches and remotes, and options for standard operations such logging.