Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts - pain felt

From: nipponmail
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts - pain felt with git
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 06:11:29 +0000

RMS: I'd like to note that I too have had annoying problems with git
regarding merge conflicts, in the past.

My solution was to hand patch everything. I know the code much better now!

On 2019-11-10 03:49, Richard Stallman wrote:

> > How about adding a user option to enable or disable the creation of
  > > the multiple windows?
  > >
  > > (Is it Smerge mode which does that?)

> Smerge mode doesn't, so we need first to figure out what feature did
  > that.

> When you got the merge conflict, was that by invoking "git pull" from
  > the shell prompt, or did you do it in some other way?

I don't actually remember -- I can only try to reconstruct what happened.
But I think it must have been a VC operation done in Emacs.
I probably did git pull with the shell, not with VC, because
it is not a per-file operation.

> And once you got the indication of the conflict, did you simply visit > the file with conflicts, or did you do something else? IOW, what can
  > you remember about the commands and actions you did before those
  > windows popped up?

I don't know.