Re: GNU Coding Standards: Errors

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: GNU Coding Standards: Errors
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:20:02 GMT

Hello .,

    Could you show me a GNU project which follows this guide

Well, pretty much every project that issues error messages follows the
guide in general.

GCC is the principal one that wanted to be able to specify the columns
(and I'm not sure that has been released yet).  There's no reason to
include the column information unless you actually need to.
Usually, it's enough to specify a single source line.  E.g., for
an error about line 123 on foo.c, it would be:
foo.c:123: some message

That's the first example shown on that page.  I recommend using that.

    Should I keep the words "line" and "column" (e.g.
    foo.c:line42.column1-line44.column2: bar)?

No, just as you don't keep the literal "sourcefile" or "message"
either.  That's why they're all in italics.

    sourcefile:line1.column1-line2.column2: message

That is the most complicated case.  I very much doubt you need to use it.
But here is an example:
foo.c:10.50-11.51: some message

Says that "some message" relates to the region in foo.c between column
50 of line 10 and column 51 of line 11.

Best,
Karl