Re: Anything to do?

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Anything to do?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:14:06 +0200

   Maybe I am not stating my question properly.  Am I to understand
   Alfred that you would host GNU System specific packages for Xorg,
   or GNOME, or KDE, for example, on ftp.gnu.org?  I can't image that
   you and/or the FSF would go for that?

As long as it is free software then there is no problem with hosting
it on ftp.gnu.org, Xorg is free, so is GNOME (it is even a GNU
project), the same goes for KDE.  And since we have a desktop
enviroment (GNOME) we don't need to host a binary package of KDE on
ftp.gnu.org for example.  But it is premature to talk about this, we
don't have anything to host yet...

   However if there is greater support among the community for support
   the GNU System I may back down.

Instead of waiting for the bandwagoon to move, why not help push it?

   My only concern/question is if the FSF/GNU has the wherewithal
   and/or resources to get the functionality of a standard distro in
   any timely manner or are we looking at another 10-15 year
   implementation?

It will be done when it will be done, and it will be done sooner if
more people help.

As to what makes up the GNU system, all GNU projects, and any other
free program that a user might want.