gnu-music-discuss

Re: Compiling 1.3.128?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Compiling 1.3.128?
Date: 05 Feb 2001 23:22:51 +0100

Anthony Fok <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, I notice that too.  When I tried to build 1.3.127, it stopped at the
> same spot (i.e. make using the implicit rule rather than following your
> override).  I then tried playing with the GNUmakefiles and the rules a bit
> (e.g. commenting or uncommenting your "$(outdir)/%.info: $(outdir)/%.texi"
> rule), and then after a while, make miraculously work perfectly again,
> i.e. the override works again.

Hmm.  Maybe it's something to do with how we override builtin rules.
Iirc, we look (or looked) at the make level, ie, if make was called by
the user or by $(MAKE).  Maybe that fails if LilyPond's toplevel
GNUmakefile is being called through ./debian/rules: $(MAKE) ?

> I do have a question though.  How come you put in
>
>       chmod -w lilypond.texi
> or
>       chmod -w lilypond.nexi  ?

I've been wondering (and annoying) myself about that too.  Han-Wen?