Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:27:20 -0500

Benjamin writes:
> So you're saying that the copyright owners of the third party jars the
> software uses cannot sue me for changing their licencing terms if I
> distribute the binary version of my software with their jars?

You are _not_ changing their licensing terms.  You _cannot_ change their
licensing terms, with the GPL or anything else.

> Again this assumes the GPL licence affects all libraries that are linked
> to my code

Your assumption is incorrect.  The GPL does not and _cannot_ affect the
license on anyone else's code.  The GPL is a unilateral grant of rights
from you to owners of copies of your package.  You do not own the
copyrights in the jar files, so how could you possibly grant any rights to
them?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org