Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Ruben Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:48:00 -0400

On 7/4/23 10:24, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:

Similar to Guix's decision on ScummVM, I think that the rationale could
be that:
- We don't know any free games.

https://github.com/JenniBee/openquest/ is a recent game under CC-BY-4.0

There are hundreds of community-made games compatible with scummvm, and they are still actively being made.

Also I still maintain that beneath-a-steel-sky and such are under a (badly written) free license.

- As far as we know, ScummVM has a checksum whitelist, so:

That is incorrect. The checksums are used to identify known games and apply specific settings. The engine would run any compatible file.
So the current situation is that ScummVM steers users toward nonfree
games/software, because we can't direct them to at least a single
games/software or use case that is FSDG compliant with ScummVM.

Not only that is incorrect as I stated, I refuse to police what people may use free software for. There is a large community of people playing, reverse-engineering, modifying and sharing old games, in ways that go beyond what copyright (and thus free software licensing) allows, and they do well in ignoring such silly restrictions.