Re: [GNU-linux-libre] the straw that broke the camel's back

From: Ruben Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] the straw that broke the camel's back
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:49:30 -0400

On 7/13/23 16:38, bill-auger wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:02:19 +0200 Ricardo wrote:
For me the
conclusion is obvious: I’ll just ignore whatever actions this group
declares as decided when *this* is exemplary of the decision making
process.

well, i rest my case - if FSDG distros will not to follow the recommendations

Recommendations are precisely that, recommendations. Each project can still draw the line where they see fit. The FSDG also have requirements ("a free disto *must* not..."), but this is not the case at hand.

and will not help to improve them, we may as well disband the work-group and
delete the FSDG - it is useless unless distros respect it _as_ _written_, and
actively help to change outdated or misguided parts

ricardo has just confirmed my suspicion that we are wasting our time on this
mailing list - i can tolerate a few wild decisions and bike-shedding - but what
is not acceptable, is that there are no consequences for distros which ignore
the work-group's decisions and even declare that intention publicly

The work-group has not made any decisions, rms has. He decided that the FSDG would urge distros not to distribute scummvm, and he confirmed to me that such urging is a recommendation. Those who agree with his view on that topic may follow his urging, others may not.

OTOH (my preference), we could strengthen the reputation and usefulness of
work-group by limiting discussions to the important issues, and further by
revoking endorsement of distros which refuse to participate in the discussions,
but rather ignore the decisions of the people who did participate

This work-group has not been given the powers you allude to (issue FSDG recommendations or requirements, or endorse/unendorse distros).

frankly, this has gone on much too long, while the only people who could
possibly tame this chaos are the ones adding the most to the chaos - it is
quite discouraging to see the very people we are working for, rejecting the
efforts with such indignation - one would need to be insane to stay on this
bandwagon

if nothing changes, and _very_ soon, to give distros some imperative to respect
the work-group, i must withdraw also, if only for the sake of my own sanity and
dignity - i have plenty of other things to do that will be fruitful and people
will respect

As the work-group can't issue any rulings, there can't be such imperative. Distros can choose to follow the FSDG or not, and they can choose to discuss stuff here, but that is all.