Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 00:48:40 -0200

On Dec 23, 2017, "Jason Self" <address@hidden> wrote:

> My understanding is that there is an idea for how to
> enable the loading of the proprietary firmware without also steering
> people to it when it's not present.

That idea unfortunately proved to be insufficient for scenarios in which
e.g. a (user-hostile) distro pretends all sorts of proprietary firmware
are installed just because they're available as packages, and once the
kernel actually requests them, offers to install or goes ahead and
installs the proprietary firmware for the user.  I've heard of distros
that intended to do such stuff, so RMS and I agreed we shouldn't
implement that any more.  GNU Linux-libre is supposed to do its job even
if installed on such hostile distros.

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer