Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:48:54 -0200

What if for example the kernel wouldn't reference stuff by file names,
but instead to bus address or something like that?

So instead of saying "Unable to load firmware: some-file.bin." it would
say "Unable to load firmware: 03:00.0" this would unfortunatelly have
the drawback of making the message confusing to search for the new
people, but wouldn't be a direct recommendation of non-free software.

Or simply make the message not reference anything at all ("Unable to
load firmware", simple) and leave the hard work of finding the needle to
those who dare to use some tool which is able to trace the kernel
execution (if this tool really exists, I imagine it would behave similar
to `strace').

Anyways, this email message is in no way an attempt to undermine the
movement's goals, I'm accepting any answer here as long as there is
references and friendly tone. ;)

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com