Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Usage of NINTENDO, MAME and other trademarks

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Usage of NINTENDO, MAME and other trademarks
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 14:00:31 +0200

On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:29:03PM +1100, Riley Baird wrote:
> > And overall, responsible parties for distribution shall be still
> > consider the global impact. As trademark law in one country is not same
> > like in other country. Judges may react totally different within one
> > court, and unspoken of different countries.
>
> Encryption is illegal in some countries. Maybe the FSF should refuse to
> distribute cryptographic software, for the benefit of people in those
> countries.

Legality is to be observed also for encryption in distributions. And if
there are problems in distributing such from United States, there are
solutions in doing that from other countries.

All such matters shall be carefully reviewed by attorneys. There is no
need to "be illegal". I don't suggest anyone to go onto the illegal path.

If you argument is that a free software distribution cannot possibly
satisfy the legality in all countries, than at least it shall satisfy
legality in United States, or in those countries from where it is
distributed, as all references to trademarks are to those registered in
United States.

Jean Louis