gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] Interest in Contributing to Gnu Crypto Project

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] Interest in Contributing to Gnu Crypto Project
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:33:55 -0700

Thanks for your interest. I should explain the situation GNU Crypto is currently in: we merged the GNU Crypto code into GNU Classpath, where it now forms the core cryptography support there. As a result, we moved the focus of development on supporting the things useful in a crypto provider, and away from making a general-purpose crypto library.

However, we always kept the project active, since we did think that it might be useful to explore new ideas there. We'd appreciate any new ideas people would like to explore with it, but this does mean that there isn't much of an open task list, as such.

There may be more opportunities in other GNU Java projects, or other GNU projects in general. Even though development on GNU Classpath has slowed since Sun released OpenJDK, there are a lot of tasks open in that project, and that's a great place to start with Java hacking. My suggestion is to start asking on the GNU Classpath mailing list, address@hidden , and check out the Classpath web site at http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ .

Thanks!