gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 02:45:52 -0700

Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> [...]
|>|
|>| if you're referring to the top level directory, the Makefile.in
|>| should not be there anymore (in my local CVS it is not).
|>
|>I meant the gcj/ ones, but isn't that build method destined to be
|>included in the top level build?
|

| in the future may be.  i was not personally able to combine both; but if
| somebody else is willing and have the time, then pls go ahead.  i think
| ultimately we should have one way to build with the GNU tools

I'm personally more comfortable with the two builds being separate,
since their ultimate goals are so different. It just doesn't seem like a
good idea to make things so much more complicated when (I'm guessing)
most of the people building the library would want bytecodes.

|>| [...]
|>|
|>|
|>| my personal list is:
|>|
|>| 1. current algorithms (hash, cipher, modes, etc.):
|>|
|>|    DES, DES-EDE, CAST, Blowfish, RC6,
|>|    HAVAL, TIGER, SHA-256 et al
|>|    CBC, CFB
|>
|>Doesn't RSA Security hold a patent for RC6? Other than that I would
|>agree with this list.
|

| yes they do.  my understanding is that RC6 in this regard is similar to
| IDEA.  if you use it commercially in the USA you have to get a license.
|
| in addition, as per RSA's FAQ, the name itself MAY become a trademark,
| like ARC4...
|
| how about replacing it with the latter?  this way, if we get all those
| ciphers implemented, GNU Crypto can be used out-of-the-box in most
| current libraries and applications incl. SSL/TLS.

ARC4 sounds like a better way to go. I don't see any real need for
RC2/RC5/RC6 other than for completeness, since none of them are in
*that* widespread use (that I know of).

- --
Casey Marshall < address@hidden > http://metastatic.org/