Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:40:37 +0900

Alfred M. Szmidt writes:

 > In either case, Arch is already incompatible with the licenseing terms
 > of Linux. Linux is licensed under the GPLv2 only, while Arch is
 > licensed under GPLv2 or later.

Wrong.  At present, Arch can incorporate Linux code, and vice versa,
under the condition that the combination is distributed under GPLv2.
There is no incompatibility of license here, only an incompatibility
of Linus's freedom to choose a license he likes with the FSF's desire
to refine the instruments it uses to accomplish its social goals.

 >    What's so wrong with GPLv2?
 >
 > Tiviosiation, Novel/Microsoft type deals, not being international
 > enough come to mind.

Internationalization, I guess.  How do the other two apply to GNU
Arch?