Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:16:58 +0900

Alfred M. Szmidt writes:

 > Free software is about freedom.  If it was about cooperation, and
 > respecting others' goals, then we would be using a all permissive
 > license like the Modified BSD license.

Free software is pointless if it is not distributed and modified by
others.  I call that "cooperation".

And respect != submit.

 > Hint, it had nothing to do with copyright assignments.

I don't know what "it" you think you're talking about; what I'm
talking about is the fact that Richard has repeatedly stated that the
fact that XEmacs is free software licensed under the GPL is
insufficient for including XEmacs code in Emacs.  The necessary
ingredient is legal papers (typically, but not always, an assignment)
from the author of each piece of code large enough to fall under
copyright.