Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pronunciation

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pronunciation
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:38:04 -0700

I like the (rather arbitrary) answer that it's "ark" (as
in "archive") except that a contributing hacker or
very skilled user might be called an "archer" (as
in "good shot, Robin Hood").

In truth, however, it has always been pronounced
"ghoti" (as in "fish").

So, is it "SUBversion" or "subVERsion"?  Actually,
it's "subverSION".  Little known fact.  Strange but
true.

You may also be amazed to learn that the proper
pronunciation of "Red Hat" is "Mywehaveanicelogo"
and "Ubuntu" is pronounced
"whaddayameanthey'reusingfedoraforonelaptopperchild?!?"

Strangest of all, "IBM" is -- and really, you have to
just trust me on this -- pronounced "eye bee em".
Go figure.

-t

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

Since the list is quiet these days, I thought I'd take advantage of that
to launch an interesting topic: How is one supposed to pronounce "Arch"?
Rather like "ark" (as in "archive") or not?

I found an occurrence of this question in the list archive but couldn't
find the answer.

Thanks,
Ludovic.