[Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 survey followup

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 survey followup
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:38:00 -0700

So, I'm sorry to be late and terse replying to the feedback to my
"fill in the blanks" questions about 2.0.

I asked about target markets and their needs and, somewhat
ambiguously, about business model.

I spent a few hours reading and cutting and pasting and generally
contemplating the replies.  There was a hecka good amount of hella
good stuff in the replies and I am actively resisting diving into that point
by point. I'm resisting doing that to keep moving forward.
So, here is my proposal for a statement of rough consensus on just the
essentials:

* Target Markets

   ~ small projects, including isolated individuals
   ~ huge projects, like GNU/Linux distros
   ~ GNU project developers in general
   ~ projects desiring sophisticated patch-flow mgt.
   ~ not-specifically-hackers, especially web-content teams,
      system admins (maintaining /etc), and personal computer
      users (maintaining their (possibly distributed) home
      directory.

* Needs

  Simplicity, speed, portability to Windows (but not at any
  serious cost to GNU systems), and ideally a nice GUI

* Business Model

 We'll talk about that later.

This is not a bad starting point, if there is some general agreement
to it, imo.

I'd like to next turn to some design questions (call that strategy) and
then some tactics questions.   I'd also like to gently raise the business
model question in coming weeks.

Objections, comments, praise, endorsements, rotten tomatoes,
lovely roses, ordinary daisies?
Regards,