Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz format archives in tla

From: Mark Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz format archives in tla
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:29:18 -0500

On 2006.04.05 22:55, Thomas Lord wrote:

Anyway, you speak frankly in the face of bullshit and use nasty words like "fuck". I guess you're hard to work with, too. :-)

About like you. I'm also a software architect and I fully understand the need to "stand fast" against changes which do not fit the architecture. I'm prepared to argue my positions and I expect my designers to argue theirs. If they convince that my position is wrong or otherwise suboptimal, I'll be more than happy to change my mind as well as giving them the credit for the change to the better way of doing things. If they don't, I'll shrug and tell them that we aren't doing it their way.

As an architect, you're responsible for the structure of the software itself. That normally includes a vision of what it is supposed to do and how it will do it. A lot of designers don't see that and only see the immediate problem which they are trying to solve.

There are some designers with whom I work who I am much more likely to listen to if they tell me that I'm taking things in the wrong direction. There are other designers whose opinions are less than worthless.

I have *my* opinions of gnu arch (tla in particular), but I haven't put the amount of thought into the problem space and overall design as you have. When I think that my opinion might be valid, I'll mention them here; I'm nowhere near being a subject matter expert on SCM theory and don't really have a desire to be one.