Re: [Gnu-arch-users] community spirit

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] community spirit
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:39:34 +1100

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:02, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Tom,
>
> While granting you notice up-front would have been polite, I'm not sure
> that what Canonical did is something that would necessarily be
> considered "uncivil". They're starting their own branch with the intent
> of focusing on a specific featureset -- good for them, and I sincerely
> hope it results in quality ideas/patches/whatnot being created.

I'm sure we all hope for that.

The approach taken though ('"if" all patches are accepted by Tom') does
not meet my expectations of how someone aiming to work with the
community would work.

In fact, it is very reminiscent of Red Hat's Fedora (and pre-fedora)
"community distro" approach; ie. "this is what we're doing, feel free to
provide feedback, report bugs, and take it if you like". There's no
deference and apparently not even any discussion with Tom. Which gives a
very strong hint that what they're doing is a fork. If the overt warmth
continues (<sarcasm> for those who couldn't read that) then it comes
down to "let's hope there's an egcs style merger in the future", which
isn't what I'd call an ideal community. I could say "crap happens" but
instead - <to canonical> can you guys try to work _with_ Tom? Please?

> As a casual observer, I don't get the impression that Canonical wants
> their fork to supercede the Arch project;

There was an implicit threat to the contrary.

> rather, I get the impression
> that they just want the ability to go off for a while and do their own
> thing in the hopes that it eventually results in a better UI for all
> concerned.

I agree with this. That does seem to be the intention. And I certainly
welcome better UIs. It would be nice if everyone got along though...

<my opinion of course>
Zen