Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] merging new files into a renamed directory lo

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] merging new files into a renamed directory looses the file
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:18:52 -0500

Phil Frost wrote:
On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:48:47PM -0500, John Meinel wrote:

Phil Frost wrote:

Observed behavior:

after merging 'main' into 'B', a directory 'fu' is created, with the new
file in it. tree-lint reports this directory as "would be source if it
had an id."

This has actually been around for quite some time, and I know it's been debated in the past. (I've been one of the ones that brought it up.)

Perhaps then this condition can be detected and reported as a conflict
instead of silently dropping the file. Then there would be an indication
that there is something that should be resolved before committing the
merge.

Well, when you go to commit, you will get a lint failure.

What can be even more insidious is if you re-created the fu directory later, and then the file will show up inside a valid directory and be added, and you can easily not notice.

What also causes a lot of problems is if you add a new directory. Say you add it 3 levels deep, along with files in that dir. If the top level dir is moved, then when you do the merge, it will actually abort, something about not being able to create the directory. If you manually mkdir the parent dir, it will be able to create the child, and then you can move the stuff back out of there.

All I can really say is that at least tree-lint will catch the bogus directories, and Miles and I both want to see this handled properly. For me, it plays a big effect when you take a project, break it up into sub-projects, and work directly on the sub-projects, merging back into main. It works perfectly on everything except "add"s.

John
=:->