Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to l

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to list
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:02:12 +0200

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 05:50 +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Now, I still would prefer if gau set itself in the Reply-To so that the
> > default reply goes to list.
>
> Reply-To mangling considered harmful.

Some people consider it useful.

I read both the "considered harmful" and the "considered useful" papers,
and there are good arguments on both sides. In my opinion it boils to
mailing list policy and taste of the administrator.

GAU is a high-traffic kind of forum where replies to the list are
encouraged and appreciated, so I think it should set Reply-To.

What I do is use special accounts in Evolution for the major mailing
lists I post to, which set the Reply-To header to the mailing list, so I
only get duplicates when someone deliberately added me to the
recipients. The "set headers according to recipient" feature of mutt
would be more comfortable, but Evo has other advantages that outweight
these inconveniences.

But then I might be missing something (I have not yet read the whole
thread).

--
                                                            -- ddaa