[Gnu-arch-users] rsync cygwin -> linux, umask?

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] rsync cygwin -> linux, umask?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:49:21 +1000

rsync is from cygwin to linux

want perms to be 775/664 (group write/exec) all 'round

on cygwin, setting umask to 002 has no effect on group perms, since,
apparently, group is "None".
 - user = Administrator
 - umask = according to having been set
 - touch file, umask 002 or 022, gives perms 644 (not 664 as desired)
   in both cases
 - groups = None, Administrator, users, and about three others

and the kicker, rsync from cygwin to debian results in _all_ files in
our source tree being synced across, with almost no changes in those
source files. This results in all the perms being set incorrectly, on
the unix box, to 644. Previously I've manually updated these (being
careful with bin/ files) and the cycle repeats again... its getting a
bit mundane now.

I think that when we rsync from linux to cygwin, "new" files get created
locally, since the local umask can't be set to 664. So then when we
rsync back to linux, it thinks all the files have changed, when they
haven't, it's just that we can't set a proper umask (it seems) in
cygwin.

Any ideas very greatly appreciated,
Zen