Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encoding handling proposal

From: Marcus Sundman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encoding handling proposal
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:59:42 +0300

On Monday 30 August 2004 14:21, David Allouche wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 15:13 +0300, Marcus Sundman wrote:
> > Here is my proposal of how *I* think a CM system should handle the
> > "encoding issue" and some related issues. You may have a different
> > opinion, and if you do it'd be nice to hear it, but no trolling,
> > please.
> > (See the "Notes" section below for comments regarding each point.)
>
> Your proposal raises a number of points, some of them have been
> discussed at length on the mailing list in the past, some of them are
> quite far-reaching. Thep will probably be easier to discuss if you break
> your big proposal in smaller chunks, each to be discussed separately.

I agree. However, since they are a bit intertwined I think each point should
be discussed without completely ignoring the related ones. (E.g., even if
it wouldn't be warranted to implement a particular feature just because of
any one function, it still might be warranted if several functions would
benefit from it.)

If some particular point has been dealt with already I'd be happy to read up
on it if someone wants to give me a pointer to the discussion.

> Some of smaller chunks I can make out are:
>
>       * Automatic file content conversion between the archive and the
>         checked-out trees.
>       * MIME-type sensitive diffing, merging, annotation, etc.
>       * How to handle the non-portable file-name problem.
>
> Maybe you have some other issues in mind, but it's difficult to make
> them out since the points you raised tend to overlap.

Aside from the general metadata system, no, I don't think there was anything
else in the proposal. Except, of course, the interrelationships of all
these points.

- Marcus Sundman