Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encoding handling proposal

From: Marcus Sundman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encoding handling proposal
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:29:14 +0300

On Monday 30 August 2004 00:09, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Quoting Marcus Sundman <address@hidden>:
> > On Sunday 29 August 2004 21:13, John Meinel wrote:
> > > This is where the problem with plugins exists. On *my* machine, I
> > > have the application/vnd.sun.xml.writer diff program. You don't have
> > > it on *your* machine. You can no longer read my archive.
> >
> > Sure you can. The only difference is that you can diff the files in a
> > decent diff program whereas I would just get my standard binary diff
> > tool if I tried to diff those OOo documents.
>
> I think we're misunderstanding what your alternate diff/patch tools do,
> if they don't generate changesets that end up in the archive (rendering
> that archive readable only by someone with the ability to interpret those
> changesets -- thus, like tools). Mind elaborating on exactly what their
> role is?

Sorry, my fault, I wasn't clear enough.
Diff tools are used for two things: A) for generating patches, and B) for
displaying the difference between two objects to the user. In my proposal
this would be split up so that functionality A is the same for all files
but functionality B is pluggable. (The same goes for merge tools.)

- Marcus Sundman