Re: [Gnu-arch-users] experience of using Arch under Windows

From: Dmitry Mishchenko
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] experience of using Arch under Windows
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:35:49 +0300

On Friday 27 August 2004 12:07, Robin Green wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:28:53AM +0300, Dmitry Mishchenko wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I running Arch under Linux, accessing remote archive over SFTP.
> > Right now my collegs which is using Windows need to work with the same
> > archive.
> >
> > Is it possible with current version of tla? Which approach will you
> > advise to use:  MSFU, Cygwin or  Native Win32  to work with remote
> > archives over sftp?
>
> There is another alternative: give each person a working directory on a
> Linux machine, give them a ssh account to run tla and share the working
> directory using Samba, so they can connect to it just as a network share
> (drive Z: or something).

Good idea, thanks! I think it can be used on LAN without problems.

But my current project expect communication with remote server over Internet.
One issue is that nobody allows us to run samba on this server and another
I'm afraid work with such archive will be very slow.
Let say win user did "tla update" before committing his patch and his tree was
updated. After that he has to Build project to verify that its working (its a
C++ project so everything should be recompiled after update). As we compile
it with Windows compiler it can't be done on server so all files required for
compilation and compilation results will be transferred over the Net.

Dmitry