Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archive-mirror/ clone

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archive-mirror/ clone
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:11:21 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>

    > In the tutorial, the following command sequence appears to create a
    > local mirror of a remote archive:

    > % tla register-archive address@hidden $remote_location
    > % tla make-archive --mirror-from address@hidden $local_location
    > % tla archive-mirror address@hidden

    > Is there any reason it wouldn't be good to combine these three commands
    > into something like:

    > % tla clone $remote_location $local_location

    > It would seem at least superficially easy to shell script...

    > ??

We're headed towards capturing such idioms as commands.

The problem is that for every three command idiom you can name, I can
name a variation on that idiom that is equally valid.   There is no
"magic bullet" of five new commands that would put threads like this
to bed.

Most importantly, from my perspective, the various possible arch
idioms really "sort out" in site-specific ways.  Very crudely putting
it: it's a bit like everyone wants 5 new commands -- but everyone
wants 5 *different* commands from everyone else.  Democratically
speaking, we need 150 new commands (of which, typical users each use
3), not 5 magic bullet new commands.

So, yeah, (still speaking crudely) arch needs to sneak up on having an
extension language and it needs to sneak up on having a library like
the emacs lisp library.