[Gnu-arch-users] repository/ projects assumption

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] repository/ projects assumption
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:42:47 +1000

Here's an assumption I have, definitely the case from my Aegis days
(couple years ago now):

It is easier to have all the code that the team develops in a single
project/ package/ repository.

If for example, "library" code is separated into a separate project, the
overhead (at least in Aegis) for developers to create additional
"changes" each time they factor something into the 'library' is simply
too high, and so they don't do it.

So (at least when I was using Aegis) doing the above ended up being
counter productive, and left the library to stagnate, when we separated
the library code into a separate project.

Given the concepts of a "modern" SCM, there is the ability to (nicely)
merge changes across such separate packages as "library" and "admin app"
and "server", at least I'm assuming.

Is this assumption correct?

TIA
Zen