Re: [Gnu-arch-users] conversion of bitkeeper archive to tla

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] conversion of bitkeeper archive to tla
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:00:35 +1000

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 12:46, John Meinel wrote:
> Well, speaking as someone who actively uses tla on cygwin, I can say it
> might be there enough. It's significantly slower than arch on linux (at
> least an order of magnitude.) but Lode Leroy's path compression version
> does work in most situations.

This leads me to think of the following concept - path compression with
aliases of some sort (I haven't exactly started using tla yet - just
launching into the tutorial as I write):

Have a storage layer "translation layer" that translates names (such as
the lengthy names causing problems on Cygwin) into a filesystem name,
and vice versa, as needed.

I would assume (but haven't used it enough to say, obviously) that paths
might be able to be compressed in many ways (double dashes to single,
split paths at logical 'directory' boundaries if they exist,...).

If there are circumstances where long names must be manually entered by
the tla user, then perhaps the aliases would be useful there too.

Sorry if it's just rambling...

thanks
zen