[Gnu-arch-users] Arbitrary version names

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arbitrary version names
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:58:03 +0100

Hi,

It looks like this was previously discussed but I don't know whether
there are plans to allow this. I have a linux--arm--2.6 branch which
contains the main kernel with additional patches. Once the tree is
stable enough, I would like to create a tag named something like
linux--arm--2.6.7-arm1 (that's maybe a CVS oriented thinking),
eventually with --seal, and continue the development on
linux--arm--2.6.

There is another possibility - linux--arm1--2.6.7 but I still think
that -arm1 should be part of the version string. Adding a --2.6.7.1
version is not really feasable since Linus just released a 2.6.8.1
kernel, and the kernel version might have 3 or 4 numbers.

The tla modification for this looks quite simple but I prefer not to
diverge from the arch concepts. Any other suggestions (or am I too far
from properly understanding the arch concepts)?

Regards,

Catalin