Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:37:21 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:16:30PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

My `tla-partner' script uses the file {arch}/+partner to describe a `partner
version', so you can say e.g. `tla-partner star-merge -t'.  This is very
useful.  But how would you use multiple versions?  [I understand that there
may well be multiple partner versions that are interesting, I'm just not
sure how tools should deal with the presence of more than one.]

Oh, pretty much the same as you use a single partner. My merge script will keep trying to merge from each partner-version until it succeeds. My missing-merge script will list all missing revisions from all partners.

My main use of the merge script has been maintaining my integration branch with merges from my errors, smallstuff, and backbuilder branches, plus Tom's tree.

I've also started using it with my pyaba--dist tree, which takes merges from pyaba, tlacontrib--aba, and pyarch--devo.

Questions:
Q: Why a source file?  Why may it include the tree-version?
A: To make it easier for several people to collaborate on a project, using a common list of partner-versions. It might make sense to allow for a precious variant as well.

I'm not sure about this.  When I made tla-partner, I considered both, and it
wasn't very clear to me which is `proper'.  Probably having both is good.

Yeah, I'd be happy to add a precious partner-versions.  In fact, I just did.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology