Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    >> It can be safe and correct, IF DONE RIGHT.

    > As cool as this may be, and as reasonably safe as it may be if
    > always done right, I'm actually against advocating this. For
    > this to work right, swapping the actual-archive and mirror
    > around on a regular basis is heavily dependant upon human
    > behaviors. I don't think that humans are consistant and reliable
    > enough to always ensure that the steps are always performed
    > correctly.

    > Imagine what a mess he'll get into if in a moment of forgetfulness he
    > removes the =mirror file from both archives, and commits to both? Then
    > he's got two archives with the same name with valuable patchsets in
    > both.

I don't understand why people aren't using two archives in this
situation -- one written on just one of the two hosts, each mirrored
to the other host.

Using the same archive and swapping which instance is mirror means
running a trivial script on both hosts whenever the switch occurs.

Using two archives and syncing two package versions means
running a trivial script on both hosts whenever the switch occurs.

Better still, using two archives gives greater flexability.  On that
day when you forget to sync the two hosts before detaching -- you can
keep working anyway.