Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: missing & star-merge

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: missing & star-merge
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:37:08 -0400

Milan Cvetkovic wrote:

In other words, what is the way to find out the revision which is "common ancestry" for star-merge, which in example before I had assumed was patch-18 (or patch-20, when I look more ?)

Well, to get "patch-17", you can do "tla logs $package-version|head -n 1"

patch-17 is one of the common ancestors, and the delta would be patch-17 patch-23. Note that this would include patch-20 (not good). In order to determine that patch-20 is the common ancestor, star-merge must find or make a copy of $package-version-ARCHIVE-LATEST.

I have a problem with star-merge that I don't know what it is going to do before I run it.

The exact algorithm used to pick the common ancestor isn't available except by invoking star-merge. If you want to see what it picks without affecting your project tree, you can make it output a changeset instead.

I can go around it by running apply-delta and replay since I do know how they work, and their parameters are explicit.

But when I run star-merge, I have no clue where is "common-ancestry-revision".
I think you'll find that when you want to merge, star-merge does a great job.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology