Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:40:12 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:03:18PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> 2. 50 is a pretty good number with tla--devo--1.2 over 1MB/s DSL.

Does knowing the rough connection speed help the calculation at all?  If so,
perhaps it could be made an optional .arch-params parameter (it would be only
a hint of course, since both ends of the connection matter, but for those of
us using a 56K dialup, the maximum speed is all too obvious :-).

I think for my usage, 50 is way too low, BTW, but I don't have any hard data
to back it up.  Hmmm, maybe I ought to do some timing (it's just annoying
because it's _always_ excruciatingly slow, and I'm really measuring which way
is more excruciating).

Thanks,

-miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin